Hsinchu Cheng Huang Temple (City God Temple)
Municipal Relic Building, together with Zhulian Temple, Chang Ho Temple, are the three main and largest temples in Hsinchu. It is a large-scale building, with the main building consisting of three separate buildings, pillars carved with dragons, stone lions, and above the main door a bagua was designed by a famous mason of that time. The entrance plate, which was inscribed “Protect Kinmen,” was given by the Qing Emperor Guan Xu. It houses the oldest Cheng Huang idol with the highest rank in Taiwan.
Location: No.75, Zhongshan Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
Opening Hours: 05:00-22:30
Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Cheng Huang Temple Snacks, Kuan Di Temple
Bus: 10, 11, 11甲, 20 Free Bus: 57 Free Expo Bus:1
Hsinchu Station-Hsinchu Railway Station
Hsinchu’s century-old station was built in 1913 by the Japanese architect Matsugasaki Tsumunaga (松ケ崎萬長). The design is loosely based on Western architecture, with German Gothic architectural elements, incorporating some Baroque styles. It was built in the classic railroad construction style in contrast with many of the government buildings built during the same period.
Location: No.445, Sect. 2, Zhonghua Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
Opening Hours: 06:00-24:00
Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Moat and Riverside Garden, The Residence of Hsin Chih-Ping, The East Gate
Bus: All city buses connect here Free Bus: 50, 51 Free Expo Bus: 5
Hsinchu Municipal Government Hall – Hsinchu City Hall
This stately building was built in 1925 in Japanese-Western mixed architectural forms, common to government buildings at the time.The main entrance porch has Roman styled double-columns on both sides of the Western-style arcade hall, and is very impressive, giving the overall form a stately facade.
Location: No.120, Zhongzhen Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
Suggested attractions nearby: Beida Church, Hsinchu Cheng Huang Temple（City God Temple）, The East Gate
Bus: 12, 15, 16, 27 Free Bus: 57, 52, 53
Glass Museum of Hsinchu City
Located in Hsinchu Park, the museum was originally built in 1936 as the “Japanese Autonomous Club House.” It was converted into the Glass Museum of Hsinchu City in 1999. Hsinchu glass products are exhibited here, and the International Glass Art Festival Exhibition is held here once every two years.
Location: No.2, Sec. 1, Dongda Road, East Dist., Hsinchu City
Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00-17:00.
Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Park, Hsinchu Zoo, Hsinchu ConfuciusTemple
Bus: 1, 2, 31 Free Bus: 57, 72, 73
Yin Hsi East Gate
The city of Hsinchu was originally known as Zhuqian. In 1733, a bamboo wall was built around the city under Danshui vice prefect Xu Zhi-Min. In 1826, Zheng Yong-Xi and other members of the local gentry successfully petitioned the Ching emperor for permission to rebuild the wall, work on which began the following year. The new wall was 2,838 meters in circumference, 4.6 meters high and 4.9 meters wide. It had four gates: the Yin Hsi gate in the east, the Yishuang Gate in the west, the Gexun Gate in the south, and the Gongchen Gate in the north. All but the eastern gate were torn down in 1902 to make way for road construction.
Once marking the main entry to Hsinchu, the East Gate sits on a granite base pierced by an arched walkway. On the upper half of the gate is a building originally constructed of wood and later rebuilt in concrete. The building is supported by 24 columns on which sit a double-eaved roof with a short upturned ridge that adds to the power of the design. In front of the gate is a stone stele recounting the history of the construction of the Hsinchu City wall. There is also a public square that joins both traditional and modern elements at the front of this major Hsinchu landmark.
Address :No.75, Zhongzheng Rd., North District, Hsinchu City
Transportation：Nat'l Hwy 1 → Exit at the Hsinchu Interchange → Sec. 2, Guangfu Rd. → Minzu Rd. → Dongmen St. → Zhuqian City Yingxi Gate
Public：Take the train to TRA Hsinchu Station and continue by foot along Zhongzheng Rd.
Green Grass (Ching-Tsao) Lake
Green Grass (Ching-Tsao) Lake is a significant reservoir with a design that was adapted from the blueprints of the famous Hangzhou West Lake, by the Hsinchu City Government in 2007. A series of trails around the lake take visitors to scenic spots like the Lingyin Temple, Phoenix Bridge, Moon Bridge, Yu Fei Island and other attractions. Visitors can walk or cycle around the lake.
Location: Ln. 775, Minghu Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
Suggested attractions nearby: Lingyin Temple, Filial Lee Hsi-Cin Stone Arch, Putian Temple
Free Bus: 73 Long-distance bus: Hsinchu to San Feng, Xin Cheng, Dahu Village
17 km Coastline Scenic Area
Hsinchu encompasses 17 kilometers of splendid blue coastline, and thousands of hectares of inter-tidal zones, becoming northern Taiwan’s largest coastal wetland area. The wetlands teem with life: shrimps, crabs and shellfish are readily found here. Hsinchu also boasts successful fishing ports. In additiion to tasting seafood , enjoying kite flying and experiencing the nature’s beauty of the fishing harbor, visitors can also enjoy the scenery by cycling.
The mangrove park, birdwatching at Jincheng Lake and birdwatching observation deck, give access to a rich variety of ecological wildlife. Intertidal residing birds and migratory birds can be found around by the Keya River estuary. Biking along the sea, enjoying the wind on the beach, taking an early morning birdwatching tour, or watching the sunset reflected off the sea at twilight, these are all good ways to enjoy a comfortable holidays here.
Xiangshan Wetland Nature Area, Meishan Splendid Coastline, Haishan Fishing Harbor, and other areas are full of fiddler and soldier crabs. This is the perfect place for family fun and education. It’s a tidal paradise.
Location: Follow the East-West Expressway. At the head of Toucian estuary.
Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Xiangshan Railway Station, Xiangshan Tin Hau Temple, 19 Hectares Grassland
Bus: 15 (Get off at Nanliao Station where bicycles are available) Free Bus: 55
NATIONAL TSING HUA UNIVERSITY
National Tsing Hua University has a long and proud history. First established as the Tsing Hua Academy at Tsing Hua Garden in Beijing in 1911, the Academy was renamed as National Tsing Hua University in 1928 as its curricula expanded to that of a full-fledged university. In 1956, National Tsing Hua University (NTHU) was reinstalled on its current campus in Hsinchu, Taiwan.National Tsing Hua University (NTHU) was reinstalled on its current campus in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
Since its reinstallation, NTHU has developed from an institute focusing on Nuclear Science and Technology to that of a comprehensive research university offering degree programs ranging from baccalaureate to doctorate in science, technology, engineering, humanities and social sciences, as well as management. NTHU has been consistently ranked as one of the premier universities in Taiwan and is widely recognized as the best incubator for future leaders in industries as well as academics. Such stellar records are particularly exemplified by the outstanding achievements of our alumni, including two Nobel laureates in physics Drs. Cheng- Ning Yang and Tsung-Dao Lee, one Nobel laureate in chemistry Dr. Yuan-Tseh Lee and one Wolf Prize winner in mathematics Dr. Shiing-Shen Chern.
Phone：+886-3-571-5131 Address : No. 101, Section 2, Kuang-Fu Road, Hsinchu, Taiwan 30013, R.O.C.
National Chiao Tung University
NCTU: A New Branch from an Old Trunk
Chiao Tung University was founded in 1896 (the 22nd year of the Kuanghsu Era of the Ching Dynasty). The school’s original name was NanyangCollege. In 1912, it was renamed the Shanghai Vocational College of Higher Education. In 1921, it was renamed again Chiao Tung University. And in 1937, it was renamed once more National Chiao Tung University (NCTU).
In 1958, the university began anew in Hsinchu with the establishment of NCTU Institute of Electronics. In 1967, the Institute of Electronics was reorganized to be the College of Engineering, and in 1979, the school’s present name was restored.
In retrospect of the development of NCTU, we can see that the current accomplishments actually come from the contributions of our forerunners. Considering the Chiao Tung Universities in mainland China as a strong old tree trunk, we may regard NCTU in Hsinchu as a flourishing new branch. The ordering and dissemination of the school’s glorious history is undoubtedly an extremely significant event as we recall its past and spur ourselves on toward the future. The University History Area of this museum was constructed on the basis of this idea. The contents include: some NCTU’s firsts, a brief NCTU’s chronicle, an illustration of the development of the NCTU System, the university seal, flag, motto, and school song, and some episodes from NCTU’s history. These contents as a whole are expected to provide a visitor to this museum a full view of NCTU’s development in the past.
Address :1001 University Road, Hsinchu, Taiwan 300, ROC Phone: +886-3-5712121
Chemical Mechanical Planarization User Group
National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
Taiwan Tech Global Research and Industry Alliance (GLORIA)
Taiwan Society for Abrasive Technology (TSAT)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, NCTU
Metal Industries Research & Development Centre